The BRCF provides certain communication platforms (including but not limited to WhatsApp chat groups) to facilitate security and communication within our suburb. Access to these groups is granted at the discretion of the BRCF and remains a privilege rather than a right. Participation in these platforms is exclusively for residents of the suburb which are part of the BRCF / CAP operational zone.
By participating in these communication platforms you implicitly agree to adhere to conduct becoming of a civilized, peaceful, courteous, considerate and inclusive community and that is within the prescriptions of South African law.
The BRCF encourages respectful debate and discussion, however it reserves the right to remove anyone from their communication platforms that fails to adhere to the below code of conduct.
Participants will not contravene South African law, including but not limited to refraining from speech that is propaganda for war, incitement of violence or advocacy of hate based on race, ethnicity, gender or religion, or speech that constitutes incitement to cause harm.
- Participants will refrain from language that is outright or veiled insults based on sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or culture.
- Participants will refrain from using crass or sexually explicit language and swear words
- Participants will refrain from personally insulting, defaming or name-calling of any other participant or group of participants
- Bullying, threats and intimidation will not be tolerated.
Where there is a question regarding the interpretation of the above rules and concepts, the BRCF committee’s interpretation will be considered authoritative.
Expulsion from the communication platforms will follow one warning, except in instances where the offending utterances contravene the South African Bill of Rights in which case expulsion will be immediate.
Complaints received from members of the community will be investigated and decided by the committee. Their decision will be final in all matters relating to communication platform membership.
Usage recommendations of the Comment whatsapp groups:
- The whatsapp groups are for community related matters, primarily for crime/security and service delivery, but also for other matters which affect the community.
- Please try to keep messaging during daylight hours, unless there are emergency or security matters which need immediate distribution.
- There is no need to post acknowledgements unless a question is specifically asked. Please refrain from unnecessary thank you messages, 👍 (thumbs up) or other emoticons replies. This adds to unnecessary numbers of messages on the community groups.
: Section 16 of the South African Bill of Rights provides that:
(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of expression
(2) The right in subsection (1) does not extend to:
(a) Propaganda for war;
(b) Incitement of imminent violence; or
(c) Advocacy of hatred that is based on race, ethnicity, gender or religion, and that constitutes incitement to cause harm.